Saturday, February 13, 2010

Groundbreaking Conclusion

I have, for the most part, officially decided what I'd like to do. I love english, and I love writing, but I can't do well at writing if I don't have my heart and soul in it. So journalism went out the window. Then I focused on being an english major, but I will just end up a teacher with a degree like that.

I considered then teaching. It's in my blood, I mean teachers go back more than a couple generations in my family, and I do happen to love kids. But after speaking to an ex-education major I know now that this job would slowly darken my soul until I hated kids and english and my life in general.

I've been terrified of waking up and hating my life, because of what I do for a living. I don't wanna be the person to change careers a million times because I didn't really think it through (Mom!). But after much internal debate I have settled on something that I'll enjoy going to college for and doing everyday until I die or retire. Well I'll mostly enjoy it, at least it will make me feel good.

I want to be a social worker.

I know that my step mother was a social worker (oops, can I mention her?), but she didn't like it and changed careers. She's now going to school to be a vet tech. I think she'll enjoy this, but I think I'd prefer helping the helpless people.

It actually came down to teaching or social work. Who I wanted to help more, the kids or the adults? Well there's a chance this line of work can be as soul darkening as teaching but I feel confident in this line of working. I feel I'm a good person, you know, in tune with the light side of the force. I think helping people everyday would be pretty hard to be soul darkening.

1 comment:

  1. another person in portsmouth, ohio likes Gogol Bordello!! omg

    ReplyDelete